#navbar-iframe { height:0px; visibility:hidden; display:none; }

Friday, December 28, 2012

Snow Day Soup

 
 
 
This first snow storm of this year came just after Christmas.  There are two big windows in my kitchen which overlook the back yard and I stood for a long time, marvelling at both the beauty of the falling snow and at my complete and utter laziness.  I had not put away any of the patio furniture or covered the sandboxes or even (it's true) emptied the little plastic play pool from this summer.  As I watched the snow blanket my eyesore of a back yard I smirked a little knowing that my slackitude would at least be hidden from view for a few days. 
 
There is something about a snowfall and still being in my pajamas at two in the afternoon which makes my thoughts turn to soup.  How beautiful is it that I can put everything in a pot, heat it up, and be stuffing my face in under 15 minutes?    This soup was warm and cozy and just the thing to fill me up before I got all snuggly on the couch and fell asleep to "Love, Actually."   
 
 
 


1 can black-eyed peas, UNdrained
1 can creamed corn
1 cup vegetable stock
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes (I get this in bulk at Whole Foods)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon (more or less to taste) diced hot peppers
 ¾ cup heavy cream
½ cup cooked rice
Salt and pepper to taste
 
1.  Add all ingredients up through the peppers to a pot and bring to a slow simmer over medium-low heat.
2.  When it starts to simmer, add cream and rice until heated through.
3.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.
 




Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Vegetarian since:

© 2011 Vegerrific

All content and photography by Krevia™ Media, 2011. No portion of this website may be duplicated, copied, published or rewritten without prior consent. All Rights Reserved.



Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Creative Commons License
Vegerrific by Kreiva™ Media is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.