#navbar-iframe { height:0px; visibility:hidden; display:none; }

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Banana Bread for my Bambino

 

 

We go through bananas like crazy in my house.  My sons and I live 40 minutes away from where they go to school and I teach, and the promise of a banana for breakfast gets my 4-year-old out of bed at 5:30 in the morning (he actually just asked for a banana as I write this post . . . too funny).   In spite of living with a potassium junkie, I occasionally have overripe bananas stinkin' up the joint.  I made this version of grandma's bread using candied pecans I had left over from my Thanksgiving baking.  With or without the pecans, this is a hearty bread and reaches it's maximum yumminess a day after baking.  It also freezes well; I pre-slice and freeze so I have it handy for a quick breakfast.

1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
4 large, overripe bananas, puréed
3 teaspoons baking soda
3 cups white flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 tablespoons vanilla extract
3/4  tablespoon maple extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/4  cups toasted walnuts, chopped
3/4 cup candied pecans, chopped fine
(toss about a cup of whole pecans with 2 tablespoons of honey.  Layer on waxed paper and toast in the oven at 200º until honey hardens up a bit.  Cool completely then process in a food processor until there are no large chunks)

 

 
 
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Cream shortening and sugar with mixer. Add eggs and cream again. Add extracts and mix to combine. Add bananas a bit at a time.
3. In a separate bowl, mix all the remaining dry ingredients together. Slowly fold flour mixture into banana mixture. When all flour is wet, mix batter with hand mixer; don't overmix.  Gently fold in walnuts and pecans.
4.  Divide evenly into 2 greased bread pans (batter will be thick). Bake for about 1 hour at 350º. Reduce heat to 300º and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
 
 


Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Vegetarian since:

© 2011 Vegerrific

All content and photography by Krevia™ Media, 2011. No portion of this website may be duplicated, copied, published or rewritten without prior consent. All Rights Reserved.



Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Creative Commons License
Vegerrific by Kreiva™ Media is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.