#navbar-iframe { height:0px; visibility:hidden; display:none; }

Sunday, February 24, 2013

No Matter How Much I Miss Summer, Canned Cherries are NOT the Answer



So, we're sliding into the end of February and I am really just DONE with winter.  I think I've been a good sport- I haven't complained about leaving in the blue-black cold at 6 am each day, haven't sweated the piles of snow, the black ice, the way the automatic door on my minivan has inexplicably stopped working due to frigid temperatures.  But I assure you:  I.  Am. Done.

To cheer myself up, I thought I'd make this summer salad for lunch on Saturday.  The original recipe was given to me by my bestie, Kate (although she used chicken instead of tempeh).  It's a pretty, happy salad and the green grapes, yellow pineapple and red cherries shout SUMMER.

Or at least, they do if it's summer and those fruits are in season.  I made the mistake of using canned cherries instead of fresh because, well, it's FEBRUARY.  Not only were they mushy, but even after careful draining they still turned the dressing pinker than I would've liked.  The result was a sad reminder that summer is still months away.  I'm posting this because the recipe is really good, the yogurt sauce is delicious, and if, unlike me, you are patient and use fresh cherries, you will not be disappointed.




2 1/2 cups cooked tempeh, cubed
2 cups seedless green grapes, halved
2 cups pitted sweet cherries, quartered
1 cup sliced celery
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 cups pineapple, cut into 1" cubes
1/2 cup Vegenaise
1/2 cup vanilla coconut yogurt
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup toasted coconut



1. Cut the tempeh into 1" cubes and cook in a little olive oil and salt, until the tempeh is golden.  Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
2.  When cooled, combine tempeh, grapes, celery, and onion.
2. In small bowl, combine Vegenaise, yogurt, ginger, and cinnamon. Combine with large bowl, tossing gently to coat.
3. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour. Stir in pineapple and cherries and sprinkle with coconut to serve. 4 to 6 servings.

Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Vegetarian since:

© 2011 Vegerrific

All content and photography by Krevia™ Media, 2011. No portion of this website may be duplicated, copied, published or rewritten without prior consent. All Rights Reserved.



Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Creative Commons License
Vegerrific by Kreiva™ Media is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.