#navbar-iframe { height:0px; visibility:hidden; display:none; }

Monday, February 11, 2013

"I-Made-the-Hell-Outta" Vegetarian Salisbury Steak




    I think a lot of people my age remember when a t.v. dinner was just that:  an aluminum tray of slightly recognizable food that was meant to be devoured in front of "Brady Bunch" episodes.  My favorite was Salisbury steak with corn, half frozen potatoes (always a marble-sized chunk of ice in the potatoes for some reason) and baked apple slices.   I eventually tweaked a really delicious recipe and my version was better and (bonus) served on actual plates.  When I became a vegetarian, Salisbury steak was something I just let go.  Then I discovered Match Meats.  When I saw the "ground beef" version of Match Meats in the Whole Foods freezer my first thought was "I'm going to make the hell outta vegetarian Salisbury steak!"   Here's my version, vegetarian-ized.   Doused with mushroom gravy it's fit for dinner in front of the t.v. for sure.  It retained all the flavor of my old favorite and is healthier (although adding a ton of gravy probably isn't going to help you win any marathons). 

    This was really delicious the next day.  I had packed it in the gravy for lunch and my fellow teachers thought I was "cheating" and eating meat.



1 pound Match Meat ("ground beef" version)
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
10 saltine crackers, finely ground into crumbs
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 1/2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Olive oil for frying (I added a splash of truffle oil to boost the mushroom flavor, but that's optional)
2 cups mushroom gravy (recipe follows)


1. In medium bowl, combine Match Meat, onion, cracker crumbs, egg, sour cream, horseradish, salt and pepper, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2” thick oval patties.
2. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Cook patties in skillet and cook 5 minutes or so per side, or until they brown and firm up, turning once. Remove from skillet and keep warm.
3. Prepare gravy (recipe follows). Pour gravy over patties. This should be swimming in gravy (I didn't put much on in the picture because I didn't want to hide the steak, but the gravy adds more flavor and keeps the "meat" moist).   Serve with mashed potatoes and a pretty green vegetable.



Cheater Mushroom Gravy

I fully intended to go the whole 9 yards and make my gravy from scratch, but I didn't start dinner tonight until really late.  Then I fully planned on using some jarred mushroom gravy, but . . . um . . . I didn't have any.  So what follows in a super fast "gravy" that was a really nice complement to the Salisbury steak. 


1 can condensed Cream of Mushroom soup
2 cups vegetable broth
4 large portobella button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 onion, diced
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup cold water
Salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to taste


1.  Brown the mushrooms and onions in the same pan used for the steaks.
2.  When mushrooms and onions begin to carmelize, add the condensed soup and vegetable broth.  Stir to mix and bring to a boil.
3.  While you are waiting for the soup and broth mixture to boil, combine the cornstarch and water in a mug and mix well, getting rid of any lumps.  When soup is boiling, add the cornstarch and water and stir until it returns to a boil.
4.  Lower heat to a simmer and stir constantly until it reaches the desired thickness.  Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to taste.

Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Vegetarian since:

© 2011 Vegerrific

All content and photography by Krevia™ Media, 2011. No portion of this website may be duplicated, copied, published or rewritten without prior consent. All Rights Reserved.



Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Creative Commons License
Vegerrific by Kreiva™ Media is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.