#navbar-iframe { height:0px; visibility:hidden; display:none; }

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tempeh Bacon (Insert Clever Bacon Pun Here)



I admit, I had been known to partake in bacon (of the pig variety) in my former life. Leaving bacon behind to become a vegetarian wasn't a deal breaker for me, though, like it is for many others. It would be nice if there was a real-live, super-duper substitute of the veggie kind for bacon, but I'm not holding my breath. What makes real bacon so bacon-y is everything that classifies it as meat. Substitutes are either tooooooooooo salty, too chewy, or too not bacon. I have yet to try any that I can choke down and even the varieties other vegans swear by are unpalatable to me.

So, damnit, I made my own bacon-type substitute. My first disclaimer is that it AIN'T BACON. You must let that go. If finding vegan bacon is standing between you and true bliss, well, I don't see happy skies in your future. Even so, this recipe fills an empty "bacon space" on a breakfast plate or tucked into a sandwich. I mixed and matched recipes I found and then added my own little touches until I had it just the way I liked it. Besides, I hear they take away your vegan merit badge if you don't come up with a tempeh bacon recipe. So, here's mine!

Tempeh "Bacon"

16 ounces tempeh, sliced über-thin, as pictured (man oh man, be careful. Take your time because it really wants to fall apart, but the thinner it is the better it will turn out)
¼ cup maple syrup
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3-4 teaspoons liquid smoke
4 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons coarsely-ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy
1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Steak Grilling Blend
2 teaspoons olive oil for grill



1. Add all marinade ingredients to a large bowl and mix well.
2. Add the tempeh and marinade to a marinating container, making sure to alternate the marinade and tempeh slices. You want the tempeh to be wet with the marinade on all sides.
3. Marinate for a few hours or overnight.
4. When ready to make, carefully remove tempeh from marinade and put on a hot grill. I use a George Forman grill, so it gets good and crispy on both sides and has the groovy grill marks. Go lightly with the oil; too much and you get a mushy mess. I grill it until it starts to dry out a bit, to give it a more bacon-y texture. If you think it needs a tad more flavor, brush with a little reserved marinade as you grill it. Just be sure to cook off the liquid and try not to get too excited as it starts to carmelize.
5. Serve in your favorite sandwich, as a side for breakfast, or crumbled into anthing that's yearning for bacon. Enjoy!

Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Vegetarian since:

© 2011 Vegerrific

All content and photography by Krevia™ Media, 2011. No portion of this website may be duplicated, copied, published or rewritten without prior consent. All Rights Reserved.



Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Creative Commons License
Vegerrific by Kreiva™ Media is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.