#navbar-iframe { height:0px; visibility:hidden; display:none; }

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Lemon Picatta Redemption



My favorite dish to prepare in my past (meatatarian) life was lemon chicken (much like Debra in "Everybody Loves Raymond"). I loved the process of making it, I loved the smells as it cooked, I loved sneaking bites during the preparation. I loved how it looked on the plate and especially loved it the next day, cold and straight from the fridge. It was one of the dishes that truly gave me pause when I thought about cutting meat from my diet.

So, it was the very first recipe I attempted to veganize. I knew I could use vegan "meats" from my freezer, but I wanted to try a healthier alternative. It wasn't until I tried tempeh that I felt I had a winner. Tempeh is a great substitute for the chicken and takes on the wonderful flavors in the skillet. Tempeh is so dang good for you and I was really pleased to find another way to get the stuff in my belly. This will make your mouth happy!


Prepare the tempeh a few hours or the day before as follows:

1 package (8 ounces) of tempeh
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Enough water to cover tempeh in sauce pan

For marinade (put in a non-reactive dish or Ziplock bag):

½ cup white wine or cooking sherry
1 tablespoon dark miso, dissolved in 1 cup of hot water
1 cup Imagine No Chicken Broth
¼ cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon capers
½ tablespoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon rosemary (fresh is ideal and -of course- I didn't have any fresh)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon minced onions
1 teaspoon white pepper (or black pepper- your choice)



1. Slice tempeh into about 12 equal pieces (see "step-by-step" picture).
2. Place tempeh in a saucepan with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and enough water to cover; simmer for 10 minutes.
3. While it’s simmering, prepare marinade. When tempeh is done and still hot, remove from water and place in marinade (marinate at least 2 hours; overnight works best).


STRAIN AND KEEP THE MARINADE FOR TOMORROW'S POST- IT WILL BE WORTH IT!


Now you’re ready to prepare the picatta!


Prepared tempeh
1 cup flour
Salt and pepper to taste
½ tablespoon nutritional yeast
Egg Replacer (equivalent of 2 eggs)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon Earth Balance
½ cup water
1 cup sliced mushrooms (I like them a lot and usually add more)
Juice and zest of 1 small lemon (more if you like it über lemony. When I made it today I was out of fresh lemons, and had to use bottled juice. Not the same, People!)
½ cup cooking sherry or white wine
1 teaspoon capers, drained
½ cup fresh parsley



1. Dredge tempeh in Egg Replacer then dust in flour seasoned with salt, pepper and nutritional yeast.
2. Add oil and Earth Balance to a deep skillet. Brown tempeh in skillet over medium heat (about 3-5 minutes each side). Remove tempeh and set aside.
3. In the same skillet, add water and mushrooms; cook for 1 minute, using spatula to pick up all the brown bits and cooked flour in the bottom of the skillet.
4. Add wine, lemon juice, lemon zest, capers, and parsley, bringing to boil.



5. Return tempeh to skillet, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for about 10 minutes, turning tempeh half way through. The liquid will get pretty thick. Keep an eye on the pan so the liquid doesn’t completely boil away; when the tempeh is good and hot and it's all thick and yummy-looking in the pan you're ready to eat! Serve with vegetables and pasta or grains. I served it with whole wheat orzo.

Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Vegetarian since:

© 2011 Vegerrific

All content and photography by Krevia™ Media, 2011. No portion of this website may be duplicated, copied, published or rewritten without prior consent. All Rights Reserved.



Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Creative Commons License
Vegerrific by Kreiva™ Media is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.