#navbar-iframe { height:0px; visibility:hidden; display:none; }

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Went to a World Famous Burger Joint and Left with the Ingredients for Vegan Hash

 
I have become a connoisseur of French fries.  Like many vegetarians who date a meat-eater,  French fries are my go-to meal in case I can't find anything on a menu I can eat.  For about 9 months now, my boyfriend has talked about Five Guys, a hamburger chain down the street from us which has, I am told, the world's greatest burgers.  We checked it out on our last date night and judging from all the posted signs in the joint, they DO have the best burgers on earth.  They also have amazing fries, and we left with a take out bag filled with my boyfriend's bacon cheeseburger and my Cajun fries.  My small order of fries filled the bag, and in spite of stuffing my face for a solid 20 minutes once we got home, I was still left with a big ol' pile of fried taters.  I put them in the fridge and went to sleep dreaming of how I could use them in a hash for breakfast the next morning. 
 
 

My leftover Cajun fries from Five Guys, diced and ready to go . . .
 
 
 
This hash was born from leftovers and vegetables that I needed to use before they turned ugly on me.  It was delicious (and vegan) as I prepared it, but if you'd like, add some shredded cheese and top the bowl of hash with an over-easy egg.
 
 
 
 
 
1 1/2 cups leftover seasoned fries, cubed (I used Cajun fries from Five Guys)
1/2 cup diced shallots (or onions)
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 cup chopped Brussels sprouts
2 fistfuls of fresh spinach, chopped
1 kumato, diced (or tomato)
1 tablespoon diced garlic
1 teaspoon diced hot peppers (optional)
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

 
 
 
 
 
1.  Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat and add shallots, mushrooms, Brussels sprouts and garlic.  Cook, stirring frequently, until it starts to get fragrant and shallots are cooked down.
2.  Add kumato (or tomato) and nutritional yeast and cook down until most of the liquid has evaporated.
3.  Add spinach and cook down for about 10 minutes more or until most liquid has evaporated. 
4.  Remove vegetables from the pan and add about a tablespoon of olive oil.  Fry the leftover potatoes until they are hot and start to crisp up a bit.
5.  Return vegetable mixture to pan, mix well, and heat through.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Vegetarian since:

© 2011 Vegerrific

All content and photography by Krevia™ Media, 2011. No portion of this website may be duplicated, copied, published or rewritten without prior consent. All Rights Reserved.



Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Creative Commons License
Vegerrific by Kreiva™ Media is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.