#navbar-iframe { height:0px; visibility:hidden; display:none; }

Friday, April 20, 2012

Don's Parmesan Crepes Stuffed with Sheer Awesomeness

Lucky Girl . . .

Last night I had the pleasure of hanging out with three of the most eligible bachelors I know: Don, Tyler and Ron.  Don is a good friend of mine who has been evolving into a real foodie.  He graciously invited me into his kitchen and let me teach him how to make one of my favorite recipes ever- Parmesan crepes (more accurately, I just showed up with bags of groceries and declared that I was teaching him how to cook something awesome). 

The evening was filled with food, drinks, and lots of laughter.  I was lucky to be surrounded by three handsome young men who are loving the bachelor life.  Ahhh . . . bachelorhood.  There are lots of perks, I think, to being an attractive, unattached man.  First off, women tend to throw themselves at you (that is, if the table conversation at tonight's dinner was true. I have my doubts though.  How are there that many "so-hot-should-be-a-stripper" single ladies looking to casually date out there, anyhow?).  Secondly, bachelors really live their lives with a "no one is the boss of me" attitude.  They seem to always be making the "moves," as if there is no turn-off switch. I assume they just hit on all women to practice for the times they want to actually close the deal.   I think bachelors often have a confidence that is lacking in many married men and, in my experience, just revel in being a dude.  It's refreshing to be around.  Unless you're trying to date an "extreme-casual-dater," that is (great phrase, isn't it?  Don coined that one).  I'm thinking now, surrounded as I was by single men, that I probably should've been using my camera to shoot a calendar rather than crepes!

Ron man-handled the grill and, frankly,
smells better than the chicken . . .
and I'm not just saying that because I'm a vegetarian! 
We were crowded into the kitchen.  While Don and I were working, Ron popped in and out as he manned the grill.  Ron, in spite of my feminine wiles, wanted nothing to do with what we were cooking up and grilled hot wings and chicken breasts for himself.  Even after a couple dedicated years of being a vegetarian, I have to admit they smelled and looked really good.

I'm posting this recipe as more of a photo collage, since we were a bit casual about amounts used (the best kinds of dishes are made that way, in my opinion).  At the end of the pictures you will find the ingredients and amounts listed for you.





Parmesan Crepes with Bechamel Sauce, Stuffed with
gardein "chicken," Asparagus, Sundried Tomatoes, Shallots and Gruyere Cheese

(See why I changed the name to Don's Parmesan Crepes Stuffed with Sheer Awesomeness?)



Before making the crepes (which is the most difficult step for this dish) we prepared all the ingredients for the filling, starting with the asparagus.

2 bunches of asparagus

1 cup coarsley-chopped parsley

Drizzle asparagus with olive oil.  Season with sea salt and white pepper then add parsley

Mix it all up with your hands until the spears are coated evenly then bake for 12 minutes at 425°

Um . . . these were ahhhhmazing!

Next, shallots and sundried tomatoes.

1 cup coarsley-chopped shallots
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, julliened
Cook up the shallots in olive oil and 1 clove minced garlic until glistening

Add tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes or so
Looking at this picture I just realized that I left the jar of tomatoes at Don's.  This combination of shallots sauteed with the tomatoes could have been a meal in itself.  A meal I'd be having right now if I had sense enough to bring the jar home with me!

"Chicken" comes next
Prepare 2 pieces of gardein "chicken" in a little oil
When they're done, let them rest for about 5 minutes before chopping them in small chunks



Gruyere cheese
Don't do this half-assed, People.  Fork over the money to get good-quality cheese.

Shred 8 ounces of Gruyere
Now that most of the filling is done, Don is ready to tackle the crepes

Here's the "student" himself, getting ready to master making crepes.  The next lady he makes dinner for will have me to thank, that's for sure.



1 cup flour

1/2 cup finely-ground Parmesan cheese


1 1/2 cups milk and 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil

2 eggs




I love the look of concentration on Don's face. 






 



Honestly, a quick peek into his cupboards and you would see that he really is an experienced cook who enjoys trying new things. 





He'd never made crepes before, but, as a self-proclaimed Master of All Flippable Foods, he quickly got the hang of it.







Mix well





Spray a small 8" pan generously with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.  Drop about 2 tablespoons of batter in the center of the hot pan, then swirl the pan until the batter reaches the edges and forms into a nice round shape.  Cook for about 1 minute.  You'll see it start to bubble and the edges will firm up a little
Flip it carefully.  Don't worry if the first few aren't so hot.  After 3 or so, you'll be a pro.  Cook it on the other side for about 20 seconds, then flip the crepe out of the pan onto a waiting dish


Melt 4 tablespoons of Earth Balance or butter

Next, make the sauce.  This sauce is not for the weak of heart (meaning- those who have a weak heart).  I'm sure it could cause cardiac distress.

Whisk in 1/4 cup flour and white pepper, and cook until fragrant and thick, stirring constantly.  Ron's helping me by whisking it, but I still can't convince him to try it
Grab a palmful of the Gruyere and stir it in the sauce.  Add 1/4 cup of dry white wine or vermouth and enough "No-Chicken Broth" to thin sauce to your desired consistency.  Reserve about a cup of the sauce and set aside
Add the "chicken," shallots and tomatoes and stir to mix
Don's last crepe- a beauty.  Now we're ready to assemble it.
Add a heaping tablespoon of the sauce/"chicken"/veg mix and smooth over crepe
Lay 3 or 4 asparagus stalks on top, then sprinkle some Gruyere over that.  Roll up the crepe






Ron's chicken turned out great, so the boys had very full plates.  Later, as they watched the Tiger game after dinner it was clear they had full bellies as well. 




Assembly time.  Once crepe is rolled, cover with a spoonful of the reserved sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan.  It would be even better popped under the broiler for a minute or so, but we were so hungry we skipped that step




Tyler is ready to take the first bite.  Young or old-- I love to watch a boy eat.  Look how cute he is!  After a couple bites he took a picture of it with his phone.  He said it was the best thing he ever tasted but, who knows?  Like I said, men are always flirting.

:-)
Ron's on picture duty so we can enjoy Don's creation



White wine was perfect with this
Giving props to Ron and his mad skills on the barbeque.  These looked good enough to eat.  Which the menfolk did!
Reacting to Tyler saying something charming . . .
Best part of the night?  Enjoying a glass of wine after dinner, knowing that I didn't have to do any of the dishes!!!
Don declares it a victory.  Tres magnifique!

All in all, I can safely say I was a very lucky girl last night.  I had a great dinner, good wine, and a lot of laughs.  Doesn't hurt being the only lady at a table with three very handsome men.  It's good to hang out in a testosterone cloud now and again.  :-)

Filling:
 
½ cup diced shallots
½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, julienned, extra for garnish
1 cup diced gardein "chicken"
6 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated




Sauce: 

4 tablespoons Earth Balance or butter
¼ cup flour
¼ teaspoon white pepper
¼ cup vermouth or white wine
1 ¼ cup milk
½ cup Gruyere cheese, grated
No-Chicken Broth (for thinning sauce to desired consistency)
 
 
 
 
Parmesan Crepes:

1 cup flour
1½ cups milk
2 eggs
¼  cup finely grated Parmesan (powdered)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Vegetarian since:

© 2011 Vegerrific

All content and photography by Krevia™ Media, 2011. No portion of this website may be duplicated, copied, published or rewritten without prior consent. All Rights Reserved.



Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Creative Commons License
Vegerrific by Kreiva™ Media is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.